Feb 3, 2011

Uguisu Restaurant @ Sangen-Chaya with "night for food lovers"

From when I met this amazing couple who are also food lovers, we decided to have "night for food lovers" with another friend of them (ours now) once in a while. Basically, the concept is one of us to take all to the person's favourite restaurants where the others have never been.
Our memorable first restaurant, "uguisu"was chosen by a lovely lady, K (not me) and it was very well selected and thanks to her, it has become one of my favourite restaurants in Tokyo.

This restaurant is located in an area called Sangen-Chaya, 10mins walk from Sangen-Chaya, North exit. It wasn't so easy to find but since it seems quite well known in this area, the first person who I asked could tell me the direction easily. It was on Tue I think and we made a booking at about 8pm for four, but we couldn't get a table and we had to sit at the bar! Well I thought it was nice. If we were two, I would have asked to sit at the bar anyway. Watching the staff cooking and working is also one amazing spice I believe.



We asked for a menu as others always would do in a restaurant, and what they brought was a black board full of name of the dishes. I was trying to read what was written there, but it was not necessary, because the waiter started reading them ALL, explaining how they cook. It was purely amazing and it definitely worked for us as it made us feel like ordering ALL of them. I was so sure he is involved in cooking. While he explained we could feel his love to each dish and was quite close to fall in love with the dishes already, or him (think he was pretty good looking). In fact, I saw him and all the waiters from that night in th kitchen when I came back there a month after. This explains.

From the amazing choices, we firstly ordered,


Couscous salad with Grilled Organic Vegetables
It was very simple, yet tasteful.


Brevoort Terrine
My apology for quality of the photos, I did not take my Canon with me that night. I also ordered this dish when I went back there a month after. It does not have the smell of Brevoort, but still kept its flavour. Perfect with Bio white wine with some sparkling which balances your mouth up with some freshness to it.



Salmon meuniere with Cream Sauce
I think I didn't chose this dish. I was never a big fun of cooked seafood dishes in restaurants which I didn't know why. With this, I immediately knew right away; because I never met an amazing dish like this!
The skin was crunchy and it was very tender inside which how every meuniere should be. The sauce, (speechless now remembering how it was) phew was just perfect, not killing the flavour of salmon, it was just adding some beautiful richness to it.

Then, for my first time I tried

Boudin Noir
What can I say, it didn't make me a big fun of, to be honest. But is it how it is? I guess I will give it a try somewhere else;)

Oh and this one I loved!



Petite-toes stuffed with beef mince
 Have you tried petite toes before? In my home town, it's quite usual to eat them, but not like this.
The sauce has some acidity and sweetness of fruit and bouillon of pork was making it settle. The meat was very complex and tender. I recommend to eat this dish with lightly bodied red wine with a bit of acidity such as Gamay from Beaujolais.

We had so much more than that with 5 bottles of wine! That's what always happen with good food, good wine and good people, right? (We moved a wine bar in Shibuya after that and had 2 more extra bottles...)

I would be more than happy to show and explain about this place now, but since I would like to do that with better photos, so I will leave some for later.

Oh I forgot to mention about their wine list;
Mostly biologic wines.
They do not have a wine list. You just ask them what kind of wine you feel like and they will bring some choices to you.

Price? Of course I asked.
They answered,

"The most expensive bottle here is about 5,000 yen".

Don't you love it.



x

1 comment: