Feb 2, 2011

Amakusa

I went back to my home town, Kumamoto for NY 2011.

In Japan, we traditionally spend our NY's time with families and with friends (or lovers) for Christmas as we are not Christian and we are Buddhist, just like the other way around of western culture. It has been almost 10 years since I left my parents' house and I go back there once in a while but never in NY time. This one could have been my first one since then.

I always spent my NYs with friends partying till last year and it was fun, but for some reason, I started to miss my family, friends back home and specially fresh food from there, very badly.

When I first arrived in Tokyo, I got very surprised by price of fresh vegetables, fruit and seafood. Of course I am aware that these things always happen in the every big cities, but as a food lover, it was still a big issue. Tomatoes here taste nothing to me and broccolis and courgettes cost fortune! Does it do something to do with the fact that people go out to eat all the time?

Anyway, every time I go back to Kumamoto, there is a favourite course of my family.
We go to Onsen in Amakusa where is famous for seafood in the morning and we eat lunch at a restaurant called "Fukushin"(sorry the website is only in Japanese). They have various kinds of super fresh seafood and they are reasonably priced.

Because their menu is big, I ordered a glass of cold beer for the meantime so that I can relax and take time on deciding ;)

After close to 30 mins of discussion (!), we decided to order fresh Oysters, stewed Kasago (marbled rockfish), Sashimi plate, Sushi platter, Grilled Prawns and Kaisen-don (Sashimi on rice). Quite a lot for 4 people... but of course we had no problem finishing them all ;)

I started with the oysters. Gosh, I though I was having S*X in mouth!
Fresh Oysters
and then, pick some of the Kasago and Sashimi...


Asked my brother to share some of his Kaisen-don, but declined!  :(

So, I am not sharing my sushi platter either ;P


It takes for about 1 hour and half or even more with traffic jam to go from Kumamoto city, but it's definitely worth it. (Maybe because I get to sleep in the car on the way back?)

x

No comments:

Post a Comment